T: 01397 702169
The West Highland Museum is one of the oldest museums in the Highlands. It was founded in 1922 by a group of local enthusiasts led by Victor Hodgson, who had neither a collection nor a building to display it in. In 1925, after several temporary exhibitions and the acquisition of significant collections, the Museum launched a fundraising appeal, and in 1926 purchased the present building, a former branch of the British Linen Bank.
The Museum exists solely to collect, conserve and present items of significance and historical and cultural interest related to the West Highland area.
The collections span a wide range of subjects, from archaeology to modern industry, with a special emphasis on the Jacobite risings of the 18th century.
On display we have objects from the Alexander Carmichael collection, the Goldman coin collection, and the Dr Charles Hepburn bequest.
We are an independent charity (SC 14287), financed almost entirely by donations yet in recent years we have become an Accredited Museum.